The apple variety Sverdlovsk resident is valued by gardeners for a number of positive qualities: resistance to frost, high adaptive ability, unpretentious care, abundant yield and tasty fruits. Such indicators are especially relevant for the northern regions of Russia.
Description of the variety
Hybrid Sverdlovsk - medium-winter type of ripening, obtained by selective crossing, the following varieties: Samotsvet, Zvezdochka, Yantar and Orange. Bred by L.A. Kotov on the basis of the Sverdlovsk gardening station.
In the description of this apple crop variety, attention should be paid to the following aspects:
- A tall tree with an accelerated growth rate. Crohn - openwork-spreading, sparse. Due to the abundant branching, it needs regular pruning.
- Well-developed root system, which has a positive effect on the survival rate of seedlings.
- The leaves are deep green in color, narrowed and elongated. The plates have a wavy border along the edges.
- Flowers of pale pink tonality, rather voluminous, with a wide calyx and long stamens.
- Fruits are small, round in shape, with slight faceting. Covered with a thin skin, green in color. As they mature, they become whitish-yellow, sometimes with a scarlet blush on the sides.
The flowering period of the apple variety Sverdlovsk residents falls in May, fruiting - in September.
Distribution area: the Volga region, the Urals, the Moscow region, the Northern regions.
The crop grows well in lighted areas, with a slight shade acceptable. Prefers moist and fertile soil with neutral acidity. The apple tree needs abundant watering in dry weather. It responds well to organic and mineral fertilizing.
Advantages and disadvantages
Thanks to its advantages, the apple variety from Sverdlovsk has become geographically in demand. The main benefits include:
- stable and rich productivity;
- increased frost resistance;
- juicy, tasty and beautiful fruits;
- the presence of immunity to scab.
Among the shortcomings, one can single out the small size of the fruits and their slow ripening.
Characteristics of the apple tree Sverdlovsk resident
The apple tree of Sverdlovsk residents is quite tall - in an adult state it reaches a height of up to 7 meters. The annual growth is about 10-15 cm.
The apple-tree of the Sverdlovchanin variety has a high yield. Moreover, every year it increases intensively. At 12-13 years after planting, about 100 kg are removed from one tree.
The frequency of fruiting
Hybrid of late fruiting. The first crop is harvested 5-6 years after planting the seedlings, usually at the end of September. It is characterized by self-fertility - it is pollinated independently.
Due to its high winter hardiness, the frequency of fruiting in this apple variety is stable both in the northern zone of Russia and in the middle one.
Apple tree Sverdlovsk is one of the frost-resistant varieties. It tolerates a drop in temperature down to -40 ° C without damage to the crop. Does not need shelter for the winter.
Thanks to this, the culture tolerates autumn and late spring frosts without problems when grown in the regions of Western Siberia.
The variety is endowed with persistent immunity to scab and powdery mildew, which is inherent in most fruit crops. But it is often exposed to ultraviolet light.
It is necessary to carry out preventive treatment of plantings in the spring and autumn - whitewash the trunks and branches with lime. This protects against sunburn.
When cultivated in the Volga region, where there is high humidity, the likelihood of developing fungal diseases is high. To preserve the apple trees, stagnant phenomena of water in the near-trunk circle are avoided.
Fruits are medium in size, weighing 100-120 grams. The skin is thin, insensitive when biting off. The pulp is firm, juicy and crunchy, with small grainy inclusions. To taste, the fruits are sugary, with a slight sourness. According to the tasting scale, the variety is rated at 5 points.
Apples are suitable for consumption immediately after removal and retain their consumer qualities until spring, due to their good keeping quality. The fruits are universal in use - they are suitable for fresh consumption and for canning.
Ripening and fruiting
This apple variety is capable of self-pollination. Most of the fruits are set by cross-pollination of the plant with other winter varieties of apple trees.
In comparison with other apple hybrids, the Sverdlovsk resident does not soon bear fruit. The first fruiting is observed at 6-7 years of growth. But the yield is always high, regardless of any weather factors.
Another feature is a quick recovery ability after winter, if the shoots freeze up. The harvest does not suffer from this, however, as does the periodicity. Apples reach consumer ripeness in late September - early October.
What are the subspecies?
The apple variety Sverdlovsk resident is divided into two subspecies:
A species that is obtained by grafting on a bare trunk. The result is a fairly powerful and tall tree, five meters in height. His crown is decorative due to its spherical clinical shape.
Advantages of the standard apple tree:
- fruiting occurs 2 years earlier;
- high productivity;
- better resistance to low temperatures;
Caring for a standard apple tree is elementary: timely pruning of the crown, feeding with nitrogen and other mineral compounds.
Obtained as a result of grafting an apple-tree stalk of Sverdlovsk residents on a stock, with the presence of small branches on the surface. It grows into a tree no more than 2 meters tall and with a compact crown. This saves space on the garden plot.
The advantages of this breeding method:
- accelerated and abundant fruiting;
- ease of care.
It is necessary to regularly do anti-aging pruning, and the plant does not need to form a crown.
This type of apple tree has a stable yield of 15 years. Then it can be cut down.
Reviews about apple
- In the Urals, it is very difficult to grow an apple tree that would bear fruit regularly and well. This is due to the harsh climatic conditions. But on the recommendation of a neighbor in the country, they planted a variety of apples from Sverdlovsk residents. Already in the fifth year, they took the first harvest and were surprised how juicy and tasty the apples are. They make no less tasty compotes, preserves, jams and other sweet preparations. And we eat them fresh until the end of winter.
- An apple tree from Sverdlovsk has been growing in our garden for over 20 years. Every year we are not overjoyed at the harvest: the apples are small, but tasty and fragrant. Moreover, tree care is not burdensome. The only thing that requires constant pruning. Otherwise, the apple tree grows strongly.
- Previously, only wild apple trees with small ranetki grew on our site. Other varieties did not take root in our climate. However, the apple variety Sverdlovsk has surpassed all expectations. The seedlings took root immediately and after 6 years they finally tasted real apples for the first time. They are sweet and crunchy, even the juice flows when biting off. I recommend this variety to everyone.